Monday, May 7, 2012

Word To Your Mutha

My mom loves 3 things: clichés, bacon and decorating. My husband jokes that the useful life of furnishings in her house is about 6 months before she’ll redecorate. Warning Sean: the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. Damn I was hoping it was just constant redecorating gene she gave me but it looks like the “clichés” thing snuck in there too.  Short attention spans can get expensive so I like to fill the walls on the cheap. Thank you IKEA for inexpensive frames. Now to fill them…

I love photography so a few bucks for prints of my kids usually does the trick but right now I’m looking for some different. Enter Pinterest. People pin some hilarious, sometimes inspirational and sometimes weird quotes there.

Some favorites of mine are:

                  clip_image002 clip_image004 clip_image006 clip_image008

With a basic word processing program and about 15 minutes I figured I could do some typography art myself. You can either use the fonts available in your word processing program or go wild and crazy and download some free ones online (like dafont.com). If you decide to download a new font online: save the file to your computer. Open the zip file, drag and drop the .tff file to your desktop (or really to any location) and then drag it again to your font folder (c: windows: font). I don’t know why you have to drag the file to purgatory first but for some reason you do.

After doing one for my mom I…just…couldn’t…stop…so I did a few more for my house. Sean are you seeing the resemblance yet???

For my bacon / cliché loving / designer extraordinaire mom for mother’s day:

clip_image010

A set for the boys’ bathroom:

                      image          image
                      image           image

I love the lyrics to Queen’s, Crazy Little Thing Called Love. I had the lyrics running along the bottom of our wedding ceremony program so I thought it may be a nice reminder to put up on our wall.
clip_image012

…and one just because, in the words of Queen, I kinda like it:

image

Super easy.

Mom – don’t worry I won’t be offended if you want to swap it out in 6 months.  I’ll probably want to if you haven’t.

UPDATE: My mom wanted me to clarify that she loves more than 3 things...like me of course :)

2 comments:

  1. I love the "don't forget to be awesome" - that's a good mantra for any day. The older I get the more I tend to gravitate toward inspiring words to lift me up a bit, I hope my daughter enjoys them as she gets older. I'm sure a few of these will end up in her room somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one is my favorite too - always brings a smile to my face and that's never a bad thing!

      Delete